California ~ Arizona ~ Utah ~ Colorado ~ Kansas ~Oklahoma ~ Texas ~ Arkansas ~

Louisiana ~Mississippi ~ Alabama ~ Georgia ~ South Carolina ~ North Carolina ~Virginia

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Oh My Goodness...Did someone turn up the heat in here?

   Team Awesome is back and Texas is Tough! Okay, maybe I spoke too soon when I raved on the roads, Shogan and I are now in East Texas (Tyler at the moment) and my wide bike lane is gone. The traffic has increased and the temps are through the roof! With thermometer readings in the mid 90s, the roads we are travelling heat into the low 100s. I am unclear on the humidity but we are wet and sweaty all day, from our 5:30 wake up till we retire after sunset. It has become increasingly clear why most folks spend their time indoors. I am also wondering if this has contributed to the southern accent, perhaps it just takes a little longer to get your words out, no hurry people, take your time!    
(On this memorial day I will be thinking of the Dear People in my life who have passed on to their next journey, how blessed we all our for the contributions and sacrifices of others in our lives!)

 We continue to enjoy the overwhelming Texas hospitality that is a hallmark of this part of the country. When we stop on the side of the road for our frequent water and nourishment breaks it is not uncommon for passers by to pull over and ask if we need anything. Most always welcome except for the rare times (yesterday afternoon for example) when Team Awesome (Sans Davey) is not feeling so Awesome and nerves are frayed and my temper short (sorry Shogan, not my best day for sure). The further east we ride the more astonished people are when they ask "How long ya ridin for"? Followed by "why on earth would you do that"? Of course not everyone responds that way, so many of our well wishers also express their own desires to take an epic journey of their own, whatever that may be. I do hope that our journey has inspired at least a few people to "dream big and go for it". This journey, though challenging and extremely difficult at times has also given me a treasure trove of memories and a new resiliency to believe in my own personal power to accomplish anything I desire.
 
 Dave is in Houston visiting with his Navy buddy Travis after having spent an Awesome time in Austin with another friend. He is awaiting our arrival near the Louisiana border, just 200 miles and Team Awesome will be together again, on our way to the 'Big Easy' where we will take a few days to soak in the sounds and tastes and sights of this special place. 
This sign in Albany Texas actually says, "Ladies Try God's Beauty Plan, Charm is Deceptive Beauty is Fleeting- A WOMAN WHO FEARS THE LORD IS TO BE PRAISED"
Albany is a prime example of a charming Texas town but oh so different than where I come from!
We enjoy horses and cattle and cicadas and goats and frogs and turtles and dogs and cats and, let's just say many, many... Awesome creatures and animals on our Texas ride. 
YAY Kyle Williams! Our Awesome host in Fort Worth Texas. We stayed at his place in the quaint and beautiful Fairmount District. He is a keeper friend for sure and will be visiting us in Eugene in August as he makes his way from BC to Mexico. Looking forward to reciprocate his hospitality!
Kyle works at the Spiral Diner. A Ft. Worth Vegan GEM that gets it right on all the points.
Special Daddy-Daughter time at the BBall Hall of Fame!
 I would like to send a special shout out, Whoop-Whoop, to our Awesome daughter Natasha. We took a weeks hiatus to celebrate her graduation from Mt. Holyoke College in western Massachusetts. She is an Amazing young lady who inspires me everyday! TEAM AWESOME LOVES NATASHA:)
Not your average college commencement. Mt, Holyoke celebrates their girls over 3 days with tradition and pomp and circumstance I had never experienced. AWESOME! 
Nice to be out of my biking clothes for a spell. 
And even nicer for the Naidoos to be together again! 
So many Thank yous to everyone who was able to attend. What a treat to have my Mom and Dad, my Step-Mom (WSM) my Sister and my Niece all together. I was missing my brothers Tony and Nathan, and also Shogan's family. His mom Oatsie, his sister Vanosie, and his brother Avinesh. I thought of you all at different times throughout the weekend and hope our travels bring us close again someday soon! An extra special shout out to Shogan's father Jaya. Now deceased he would have been so proud of Natasha's accomplishments as he relished his granddaughter!  
MJ and "Nashie" as she likes to call her.
Forever grateful for the education and launching pad this institution provided. Congratulations Baby Girl!
6:00 AM sunrise, Gots to get on the road early to take advantage of the heat. 
I would have brought her with me if I could have. She found us while wandering the park in Mesquite TX. 
I do hope she has found her "forever home"!
Best Donuts I have ever eaten, PERFECTION, in Mesquite.
Kenneth brought us a jug a frozen water and sat and visited with us in Kaufman Texas. A sweet and gentle soul we so appreciated his company and gesture. You're Awesome Kenneth. Also a shout out to Robert Elgin who allowed us to stay on his property for the evening:)
Tom Baum, a physicist, an aviator, a renascence nerd perhaps who retired to Texas yet still flies his plane all over the country to fix electron microscopes. I find people with unique niches live unique lives...
and finally, the water tower, when we view these in the distance this is how we know we are nearing a town... often a relieving sight.

That is it for now. Team Awesome is rolling forward and continues to appreciate all of your well wishes and support! And a special shout out to Earl St Saviour (not sure if I spelled that right) your navigation and assistance was much appreciated in MA, Shogs and I thank you!
Team Awesome Loves You!
~Michelle

4 comments:

  1. The priviledge to spend time gathered for Natashas' graduation was wonderful. And yes, we always do think of those we wish we in attendance. Bless you Team Awesome on you continuing travels. You are loved.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and pics...would like to try the vegan food in TX!!! Does it taste like ribs? Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh!!If you would have turned left at the church in Albany and went 3 blocks you would have been standing in my front yard! I'm still so sad I missed you! :(

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Natasha! We so enjoyed visiting with her (and her parents!) at Monica's. She's not just smart and pretty, she is joy personified.

    ReplyDelete