California ~ Arizona ~ Utah ~ Colorado ~ Kansas ~Oklahoma ~ Texas ~ Arkansas ~

Louisiana ~Mississippi ~ Alabama ~ Georgia ~ South Carolina ~ North Carolina ~Virginia

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One day at a time...



WOW… We have just reached 400 miles in our journey across America!

Roads go on and on in the desert


   We’ve stopped in Kingman Arizona to re-stock our groceries, purchase new tubes, and most importantly to give our bodies and legs a rest. Today marks day 10 of our Great American Bike Ride, and what an adventure it has been!

Dave in the Mojave

   We’ve experienced majestic landscapes and barren roads that go on for miles. We have dealt with Easter weekend travelers en masse with their RVs, their boats, their ATVs etc… and my personal nemesis, the pickup truck! We have been pushed by the wind for miles as if floating with a sail, and we have pushed and pedaled against those same winds as they showed no mercy, each mile beating us to our cores.
   I have personally experienced every range of emotions possible, as I have had to face my fears and challenge myself day in and day out. This ride is unlike anything I have ever experienced. We start each day with nothing but a map and a goal for reaching our next destination. We have no control over the traffic, the wind, the temperature or our surroundings. What we do control I am learning is how we react to each new situation, one another, and the ever changing environment of the roads we face each day.

Blooming Cacti Abound

   I have experienced ever so highs and a few very low lows. In retrospect I analyze my meltdowns (there have been 3) and as I progress I am realizing this must be perfectly natural. I have never done this before, this is all new, and I am just doing my best each day. Above all I remain grateful, which gives me the strength to pedal onward. I am grateful for my team! Shogan and Dave are ever vigilant to my personal needs and those of our team! We make mistakes, we learn, we commiserate and celebrate. When I feel worn down I think of my AWESOME family and my AWESOME friends, and the AWESOME opportunities I have had in my life. And once again I am grateful and pedal forward.
Team Awesome Loves You!
~Michelle

The Boys with Bill Boe (Hosted us in his side yard)

   From her we roll to the Grand Canyon. 150 miles and apparently a storm on the way. We will see what tomorrow brings...tomorrow!

Mile 22 on the 40 (Camp for the night)


3 comments:

  1. hi guys

    i am sending good cosmic karma,
    i am in awe of you guys
    best wishes and enjoy

    love
    nosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear from you and know that you are safe and having such a wonderful experience. I am awed and yes, you are AWESOME!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are my Hero's. The journey of going both inward and outward. Nobody said it would be easy I guess!

    ReplyDelete